We get a lot of calls from injured people who are late to consult with a personal injury attorney, and unfortunately, their claim was already severely weakened. If they had consulted with an attorney earlier, they might have known their rights and protected their ability to be compensated for their injuries. These are the reasons why someone should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after a car accident:
- Legal expertise: An experienced personal injury attorney is an expert in the field of insurance law and can provide guidance on how best to navigate complex injury claims. Insurance companies are incentivized to pay out as little as possible, and without knowing it, many people end up settling for fractions of what their injury claim is worth. An experienced personal injury attorney has specialized knowledge about how best to present injury claims and how to fight when necessary, including the filing of a lawsuit, the negotiation of a settlement, and the representation of an individual in court.
- Maximizing compensation: An attorney can help an individual understand the types of compensation that may be available and can negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that the individual receives the maximum amount of compensation possible.
- Proving liability: An attorney can investigate the accident to gather evidence and build a strong case to prove that the other party is liable for the injuries sustained.
- Time-sensitive: Personal injury claims in Washington have a three-year statute of limitations. This means that an individual has only three years from the date of the injury to file a tort claim against the person at fault. A personal injury attorney should ensure that all court deadlines are met and that the individual’s rights are protected.
- Handling paperwork: Attorneys are familiar with the paperwork and documentation required to file a personal injury claim and can help ensure that the process runs smoothly. An experienced personal injury attorney can keep client costs at a minimum because a personal injury claim can be extremely costly otherwise, especially if experts are required, extensive depositions are requested, or the case is proceeding to trial.
- Representation in court: If the case goes to arbitration or a trial, an experienced personal injury attorney can represent the individual and argue their case in front of a judge and jury.
Overall, consulting with a personal injury attorney can greatly increase the chances of a successful outcome for the injured party. Are you ready to speak with a real attorney about your matter? Contact us today to set up a consultation.