In this video, Attorney Andre Dayani discusses his top 5 tips on what to do if the police pull you over for DUI (Driving Under the Influence).
- Remain Calm! A DUI stop is inherently a stressful situation. Speaking of moving quickly or erratically will be interpreted by police as an indicator of intoxication even if you haven’t consumed any substances. In our experience of handling hundreds of DUI charges, the people who remain calm get the best results.
- Decline to answer any questions. You have the right to remain silent, and invoking that right cannot be used against you in court. Anything you say, however, can and will be used against you during a trial. You can politely decline and say, “a lawyer advised me not to answer any questions about my day.” You are required to provide your name, address, and license.
- Decline ALL roadside testing. Similar to above, there’s no legal obligation for you to participate in roadside testing, and few people have ever passed those tests, even sober! Politely say, “I decline to take all roadside tests.”
- Do not resist arrest, and do not try to talk your way out of it. It just won’t happen, and you’re much better situated later in the case if you comply with the officer.
- Say, “I WANT AN ATTORNEY.” That should end all non-necessary questioning, and you should be connected with a public defender (or private defender like us). Save Andre’s number on your phone! 206-777-5627
Police stops are stressful whether you’ve had a drink, marijuana, or even sober. Yes, even sober people get charged incorrectly with DUI, so know your rights! But if you’re armed with knowledge and remember these tips, you could very well prevent a criminal charge from being filed against you.
Want more information on Marijuana DUI stops in Washington State? Check out Andre’s postings on Marijuana DUI Explained and What to Expect if Charged with DUI. Knowing your rights is protecting your future!
IF YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS OR ARE POTENTIALLY FACING A DUI CHARGE, SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY RIGHT AWAY. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE IN THESE CASES, AND THE SOONER YOU CAN GET THE BALL ROLLING IN YOUR DEFENSE, THE BETTER. CALL US AT (206) 777-5627 OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT [email protected]. WE ARE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, AND CONSULTATIONS ARE ALWAYS FREE.